March 1, 2009

Book #15:Tales of H.P. Lovecraft

Fifteenth book I read since May 2008:

Tales of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft (edited by Joyce Carol Oates)

In the end I think Lovecraft spends more time building a scary world than actually scaring you. Maybe it's because of the time he wrote and how much the fright-and-gore industry has grown, but an underdescribed descent into madness that ends in cannibalism or weird stuff that happens after a meteor lands in a New England field just didn't do it for someone raise on Jason the Slasher and Stephen King. King still thinks Lovecraft is brilliant, and he probably knows more about it than me. But if you are like me and haven't studied horror fiction extensively, you're more likely to react to this out-dated fiction the way I did.

- Scott

No comments: