July 1, 2008

Book #1: The Crucible

In May of 2008, I started a new job that allowed me commute by train instead of driving. With two hours on the train every day, not only was I helping the environment (as well as saving hundreds on gas), but I started reading for pleasure again, after a long time away from it.

You see, in the 12 years since I graduated with a BA in English (of all things), I hadn't read a single novel or book for pleasure. Lots of work reading, some academic stuff, and tons and tons of reading on the web. But not a single novel, play, or book of short stories.

Now that has all changed. I've decided to keep track of all the books I've read since May of 2008. Here is the first:

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

Not as timely as I thought it would be, but an excellent case study in the hypocrisy of a mob-run and out of control early-American theocracy. Starkly illuminates the need for a clear separation of church and state, and also provides valuable insight into the human condition and the flaws we all bring to every decision we make.


Glad I read it; can't wait to see the movie or play.

- Scott

No comments: