February 1, 2009

Book #13: Frankenstein

Thirteenth book I read since May 2008:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Not what I expected, having been raised on the movie version. Much more social commentary than horror (though it might have been horror for its time), the book excels at drawing out the problems that science can create in the name of doing good or simply increasing knowledge. More so than any scientist in history, Victor Frankenstein comes to regret his scientific exploration, facing a fate where the monster of his creation spares no effort in making his life miserable. Imagine that the people who created the atomic bomb had everyone and everything they loved destroyed by it, and you begin to understand Frankenstein's remorse.

The monster is not the scariest thing in the book -- it's Victor and his lack of humanity toward his own creation. He gives it life and then denies it all of the basics of life: food, shelter, purpose, companionship, and love. Frankenstein himself is less compassionate toward his creation than his creation is toward others -- the monster unleashing most all its venom on Victor and those closest to him.

Overall a great character study of a scientist more devoted to knowledge and what he can do with it than to considering the outcome of his quest. The best quote I found that illustrated his non-humanity is as follows:


Company was irksome to me; when alone, I could fill my mind with the sights of heaven and earth... and I could thus cheat myself into a transitory peace. But busy, uninteresting, joyous faces brought back despair to my heart. I saw an insurmountable barrier placed between me and my fellow men.
Ladies and gentlemen -- the "heroic" scientist, Victor Frankenstein!

- Scott

No comments: