February 10, 2009

They Almost Ruined The Matrix

::barely able to reach the keyboard because of shuddering::

Turns out that they almost cast Sandra Bullock as Trinity in The Matrix (OMG Yahoo! link). Bullock said in the story:

There haven't been any roles that I wanted that I didn't get, but there was a movie I wish I had done: 'The Matrix.' At the time [I was approached about it], it wasn't cast with Keanu [Reeves], and I didn't see myself with the person they wanted [in it]. Later I saw the movie and loved it. It was sexy and great because of Carrie-Anne [Moss] and Keanu.

She's right, it *was* sexy and great because of Moss and Reeves. It's tough to imagine how much worse The Matrix would have been with Sandra instead of Carrie-Anne -- which is what left me shuddering. I mean, it's my sixth-favorite movie of all time (link), and not that Bullock would have stunk up the joint, but she lacks the air of mystery and the brute physicality of Moss.

Thank goodness for small favors. I'd like to meet the person who was originally cast for the role of Neo, and buy that man the beer of his choice... just for inadvertently keeping Sandra Bullock out of The Matrix.

- Scott

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The person originally approached about playing NEO was Will Smith which makes me curious about Ms. Bullock(a favorite actress of mine). I've never seen this excuse for turning down a role. This now makes her highly suspect in my eyes.

Scott said...

Will Smith -- I'll put him in for that beer I owe him.

I think Smith is a better actor than Reeves, and he would have been great in the role of Neo. But I think the movie would have been very different with him and Sandra Bullock (or Reeves and Bullock).

Thank you for the info. Of course, now I'm curious why Will Smith turned down the role. Might have been interesting to have an actor named Smith versus an Agent named Smith ;)

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Will Smith may have actually improved The Matrix!

Al

P.S. Commented on your favorite movie list.

Scott said...

I think he did so by keeping Sandra Bullock out. Carrie Anne Moss was *born* to play Trinity!